Thursday 10 March 2022

Monotheism?

Recently I have been looking at videos by Michael Heiser, an American biblical scholar. He has a podcast, the named The Naked Bible podcast, It was when he mentioned Psalm 82 verse one which reads, " God takes his place in the divine council, In the midst of the Gods he holds judgement. " It was the use of the plural, God's, that surprised me. To my mind and to what I was used to was always the word God, singular. It was then that I remembered the second commandment, " thou shall have no other Gods before me. "
God is actually letting us know that there are indeed other Gods. Michael Heiser said that Psalm 82 gave him food for thought as he hadn't been taught and hadn't realised the passage was there. He mentions all this in his book Unseen Realm, I haven't read it yet but I will in the near future. My take on it is that it makes me want to find out all I can about the beliefs of the early Israelites and related tribes. 
I will probably update this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment